[development] Site credits module

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Mon Apr 16 03:09:50 UTC 2007

On Apr 15, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Kevin Reynen wrote:

> So someone has the module information for a number of sites, but I've
> never seen it.

right.  unfortunately, the project.module side of things was never
worked on to display this usage info in any way.  furthermore, since
so few sites would want to enable the drupal.module (because of the
(basically insecure) distributed authentication functionality), the
usage statistics it generates are close to meaningless, anyway.

luckily, help is on the way.  now that the update_status.module is in
wide-spread usage for 5.x, and slated to move into core for 6.x,
*lots* of sites are now (or will be soon) using this module to find
out if their sites are up to date.  we're going to be adding
functionality for sites to optionally let drupal.org store these
queries (module and version info) so we can get much more meaningful
usage stats.

furthermore, drewish will be spending all summer working on this sort
of thing for his google summer of code effort on project quality
metrics.  we'll be making this data (anonymous summaries of it, of
course) available for people to see on project nodes, as a new method
to sort modules for downloads ("browse by usage" or something), etc,
etc.

links for interested readers and folks who want to help:

http://groups.drupal.org/node/3314 (drewish's SoC proposal)
http://drupal.org/node/128827 (issue about collecting the stats)
http://drupal.org/node/136172 (issue about the XML-RPC protocol for
these update queries)