[development] db_rewrite_sql

jp.stacey at torchbox.com jp.stacey at torchbox.com
Mon Apr 23 09:42:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

> > My opinion on that all depends on what you mean by a query builder.
> > :-)   Could you elucidate?
> along the lines of how views does it.

I'd envisage any query builder would be more heavily tied to the
structure of the underlying database than views.

Rather than adding extra node-based or categories-based options, you'd
explicitly add extra database tables by name, and specify quasi-SQL JOIN
conditions and WHERE filtering. At the end of it all it could spit out
some fairly vanilla SQL that matched the structure you'd set up. Does that
sound right?

(Of course, query builders aren't great at actually optimising the SQL.)

Cheers,
J-P