[development] Theme patches

Kevin Reynen kreynen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 00:45:47 UTC 2007

Since we are talking themes, establishing a minimum criteria for
"certifying" themes as Drupal 5 or 6 compatible would be really
helpful for module developers who rely on things I thought would be
core to any theme... like print $scripts.

I'm seeing an increasing number of issues in the TinyMCE queue from
users who have downloaded themes that don't include print $scripts.  I
don't know if I'm just getting these because TinyMCE is the first
module these people are trying that requires javascript, but I
actually had a user suggest that we include the print $scripts
requirement in the TinyMCE documentation!?!

http://drupal.org/node/126297
http://drupal.org/node/133457

I'm going to include reverting to a default theme in a "things to try
before asking" post, but the quality of some of the contributed themes
is really spotty.

I did not follow up to figure out which themes they were using because
I really didn't have time to do anything about it, but I did recommend
they post an issue for the theme.  Testing themes for few basics like
print $scripts, php declarations on all tags, etc would be something
folks new to Drupal could do to contribute.

I'd actually be willing to put a series of tests together and get this
started if there was a way to share the data with users.  I'm not
interested in making subjective decisions about what looks good...
only that the theme has all the pieces to function and play nice with
that version of Drupal.

- Kevin Reynen