[development] Why do we avoid auto-incrementing db columns?

J-P Stacey jp.stacey at torchbox.com
Thu Apr 26 10:09:50 UTC 2007

Larry Garfield wrote:
> (And before anyone thinks I'm suggesting we drop MyISAM support, I am not saying anything of the sort. <g>)

Not wanting to add fuel to any fire, but I think this is an interesting
discussion to have in the context of "the drop is always moving". I don't
want to make a judgment either way, but if Drupal is to be compatible with
arguably an old way of "doing" databases then it definitely complicates the
questions of: should it work on PHP3? should Drupal be more indulgent
towards backwards-compatibility? Or the converse argument: that Drupal's
development methodology works well, but instead calls into question support
for MyISAM tables.

Cheers,
J-P