[development] channels

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Wed Aug 1 04:57:58 UTC 2007

On 31-Jul-07, at 10:48 PM, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Derek nicely summed up:
>
> Either:
>
> 1) #drupal-support should be closed and #drupal repurposed to be
> the support room.
> 2) #drupal should be a level of indirection (as per my original
> email in this thread
> 3) #drupal can remain in whatever weird, intermediary state it's in
> now.
>
> 3) is undesireable.
> 1) is also undesireable I believe because people will have harder
> time finding the dev channel, the theme channel, the whatever. The
> announcement should actually encourage them to lurk in #drupal-dev
> and ask devel questions there. I always found it baffling that
> support deals with coding as well.
>
> This leaves 2)
>
> Unless I get *very* convincing arguments against it, I will act on
> that. Given the activity of the room and my time to code just a bot
> based on bot module, let's call the day next Monday.

If those are our options, then let's also throw in #4, proposed by
Earl (I think?) on IRC earlier: that #drupal become just a general
"anything goes" Drupal chat room, and we can refer people to #drupal-
support or #drupal-dev if someone starts to monopolize the channel.
Unless that's what #2 means... I don't seem to have that e-mail...
but "indrection" sounds like you want the channel basically dead with
sign posts leading to the various options. If so, I don't believe
this is a desirable option, either.

Btw, another reason #1 is undesirable is that there is a distinct
lack of developers in #drupal-support. #drupal is the main channel
that people will see, and it would be nice if there were a plethora
of contributors in that channel to help new potential contributors
get up to speed or to discuss new, cool things they're working on, etc.

-Angie