[development] channels

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 06:38:54 UTC 2007

On 01 Aug 2007, at 04:48, Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> 1) #drupal-support should be closed and #drupal repurposed to be
> the support room.
> 2) #drupal should be a level of indirection (as per my original
> email in this thread
> 3) #drupal can remain in whatever weird, intermediary state it's in
> now.
>
> This leaves 2)

I haven't read up on the entire thread yet -- I usually don't have
the time to hang out on IRC so it doesn't really affect me.

Either way, I think (2) is a weak compromise.  I'm all for making
#drupal the de facto support channel, and moving all development
issues to #drupal-dev.  That looks like IRC usability 101?  For me,
it's not a big deal to type #drupal-dev instead of #drupal.

Personally, I don't care whether I have to join #drupal or #drupal-
dev.  However, I do care about our users, and them being able to find
support with minimal barriers.

There was a time where drupal.org was _only_ for developers too.
Then users started coming in, and we had to adapt to that as well.
There seems to be a solid case for breaking backward compatibility,
and changing our IRC APIs for the better. ;-)