[development] Channels solved

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Thu Aug 2 06:16:14 UTC 2007

On 2-Aug-07, at 2:01 AM, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

> Finally, I got there to talk with Angie about this.
>
> The solution is as follows:
>
> People wanted to have a more quiet place to have development
> discussions. Let them. But then that place should not be used for
> anything else but deep development discussions. This is #drupal-
> dev . Me , Angie and I hope a few others will actively police the
> channel to keep it the quiet place for development discussions.
>
> Let #drupal be whatever it was: devel talk, advocacy, social, one
> sentence support replies and yes even support? questions. Yes we
> wanted to avoid this, but there is no way out. If you allow
> support, any degree of support in #drupal then it eventually leads
> to having only support in #drupal and that will mean quite some
> people will avoid it like the plague. While other projects do this,
> we are much more development focused. The much desired crossover
> won't happen in this case. I am not happy with not being able to
> abolish support? question. But if we want newcomers to be faced
> with development discussions so they can feel being "in the flow"
> then I fail to see any other solution and the recent discussions
> and flamewars have not showed any other way.
>
> Please, please help us making #drupal an active, friendly place
> even for newcomers -- give them the chance to become contributors!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Karoly.

This approach seems like it will benefit everyone; those who want a
less busy, more developer-focused place to hash out some tough
problems can do so, and those who want to rally support for patches,
socialize, talk about the cool stuff they're doing, help new
contributors get started, and all the other stuff do so in the main
channel. With the main channel being active again, people will get a
more positive first impression of the project, and the developers
trying to get stuff done won't be interrupted by idle chatter.

-Angie