[development] Core module maintainers

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Fri Aug 3 03:53:30 UTC 2007

On Aug 2, 2007, at 10:48 PM, Boris Mann wrote:

>> walkah and I have chatted about this several times as well, and I
>> think a strong case can be made that a core maintainer is *NOT*
>> necessarily the person writing all the patches and code for a
>> particular portion of Drupal.
>
> Well. Actually, unless we get twice the number of people sign up...I
> kind of expect the bulk of work to be done by ~2 people. Or at least,
> massage the patches that do show up.
>
> The best maintainers will delegate most of this to folks in the queue
> that are interested.

Yep. I don't mean to say that more skilled coders will magically
appear to fix issues if maintainers stop writing code. It was more a
thought about what we should view as our ideal to strive towards.
With FormAPI, for example, chx and I are still likely to handle the
majority of crazy funky bug hunting. There's a growing number of
people, though, who are getting more and more familiar with its
internals and are knowledgeable enough to tackle the complex patches.

I like to think that my primary responsibility is to help make sure
the API is accessible to other developers, and to make sure that
folks interested in diving deeper get the help they need to grok the
architecture. Long term, that will pay off more than any one killer
feature.

--Jeff