[development] FAPI's future

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 21:17:27 UTC 2007

On 08 Aug 2007, at 18:27, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
>> Specifically, I want to be able to work with forms without having to
>> know anything about them.  I'd like to see us add some semantic
>> metadata to them.  Some of this metadata should be (i) human-
>> readable, some of it should be (ii) machine-readable and (iii) some
>> of it should be both.
>
> Such a directory of forms is basically a web services API for the
> whole site. One can throw POSTS into any of the forms and
> programmatically retrieve data, change data, etc.

Exactly.  And it's currently not as easy as it should/could be.  We
need some metadata that helps us introspect the forms, and that helps
a tool discover how to operate the form without having to know all
the nitty details about the data it's working with.  We need to
abstract that away.

For example: if there are 3 submit handlers (3 buttons; one for
preview, one to upload a file, and one to submit the form) how do I
know which handler to call to save the data?