[development] FAPI's future

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Wed Aug 8 16:27:23 UTC 2007

> For this work, each form needs (i) a human-readable name that can be
> shown on a configuration page and (ii) all submit buttons require
> some semantic meta data as well.  Right now, 'Submit' can be both
> 'create' or 'update'.
>
> Specifically, I want to be able to work with forms without having to
> know anything about them.  I'd like to see us add some semantic
> metadata to them.  Some of this metadata should be (i) human-
> readable, some of it should be (ii) machine-readable and (iii) some
> of it should be both.

Such a directory of forms is basically a web services API for the
whole site. One can throw POSTS into any of the forms and
programmatically retrieve data, change data, etc.

We'll also need some better method for authentication besides cookie
(maybe http://drupal.org/project/tokenauth), and ideally get the
"output format" issue licked (http://drupal.org/node/145551). Lets
discuss those elsewhere, and focus this discussion on the forms
directory.