[development] Reminder: String Freeze @ RC 1

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Tue Aug 14 23:40:59 UTC 2007

Just a reminder that, like last release, we should shoot to have all
strings in core "frozen" by RC 1.

A string freeze means that there can be no changes to anything in a t
() function (user/admin-facing text) after that point, unless it
fixes some kind of "critical" bug (typos, just plain wrong, etc.).
This is particularly important, given that Drupal 6 is going to be
our "internationalization release" ... the quicker the translators
have a solid base from which to translate, the more translations we
can get out the door by release time!

So before then (no idea when this will be for sure, but  it would
probably be good to get these wrapped up within the next month to be
safe) is the time to roll the following kinds of patches (or create
issues to identify problems):
- Improving documentation in places so that it is more clear.
- Adding new documentation where none exists.
- Fixing grammar mistakes, typos, etc.

For any new issues you create, please preface them "String freeze:
[description of thing here]" so that they're easy to find.

Incidentally, these are also great patches for absolutely *anyone*
wanting to get their fingers into core -- no coding skills required!
There are folks standing by in #drupal who would love to walk you
through how to make your first core patch. :)

-Angie