[development] Views exposed filters hierarchical display

laura oldenbourg laura.oldenbourg at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 15 13:37:01 UTC 2007

Hello,
I am building a website with lots of media products on it, which should be
sort- and filterable.

I have set up one content type with CCK for each media type.
These content types all have different taxonomy vocabs assigned to them, as
well as special CCK fields. (Example see below.)

I have created a bunch of nodes using my CCK custom content types. Now I
want to create an area, where the user can filter and narrow down his/her
selection of media.

I have built this filter area with 'Views' module, using exposed filters.

---

I have the following problem:

Is it possible with views.module that you start with one drop down selection
menu (in my example taxonomy vocab 'Media type'), and depending on what the
user selects there, he/she is presented with the next selection of dropdown
menus?

**Set-up:**
A)
- Taxonomy vocab 'Media type'
--- Taxonomy term 'Book', automatically assigned to content type 'Book'
--- Taxonomy term 'Magazine', automatically assigned to content type
'Magazine'
--- Taxonomy term 'Video', automatically assigned to content type 'Video'

B)
- Content type 'Book'
--- Taxonomy vocabulary 'Book type', assigned to content type 'Book'
----- Taxonomy term 'Hardback'
----- Taxonomy term 'Paperback'

- Content type 'Magazine'
--- CCK field: ISSN number

- Content type 'Video'
--- Taxonomy vocabulary 'Film format', assigned to content type 'Video'
----- Taxonomy term 'VHS'
----- Taxonomy term 'DVD'
----- Taxonomy term 'Download'

**Scenario:**
User goes to filter area. First of all he/she sees a drop-down menu with the
vocab for 'Media type'. After having selected media type 'Book', he/she is
presented with a second dropdown menu, containing the taxonomy terms for
taxonomy vocabulary 'Book type'.

Do I make any sense? Help very much appreciated,

Laura.