[development] ASP Integration with Drupal?

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Thu Aug 16 01:45:58 UTC 2007

I have done a ton of MSSQL integration with drupal.  Here's the
strategies I use.

1.  When directly connecting to MSSQL databases, I actually use the
ADODB library.   It's really similar to the ADODB stuff you find in
ASP so it makes porting a breeze.  If you're using PHP 5 you can
foreach iterate the returned record sets.  I chose this library
because it's a good platform agnostic way of getting at DB's but
doesn't confuse the issue with drupal.   I use the drupal API's for
all things non-database.  It doesn't conflict at all with drupal's
stuff.

2.  I also have written several .NET consuming apps in a REST web
services style to consume data from the ASP or .net apps. The ASP
(or .NET) pages simply display (based on get or post parameters)
either hand rolled XML or key value pairs like on a URL parameter
var1=foo&var2=bar etc.  Which you choose depends on the complexity of
the data. Again PHP 5 is a big bonus here for the parsing of XML
(simplexml rocks for this).

I have some students at my school developing an integration module
for a 3rd party app with a  that might be simple enough too
illustrate the direct DB connect option.   I'd be willing to send on
a sample module if that would help you out.

FYI: ADODB is a php only library, so installing it is a breeze.  It
layers on the normal php db functions.  I've also successfully run
ADODB connecting to mssql on windows platforms.