[development] Active databases and development/test/production environment (was: ASP integration with Drupal?)

J-P Stacey jp.stacey at torchbox.com
Thu Aug 16 08:39:46 UTC 2007

Tao Starbow wrote:
> This is one of the cooler, not-so-well known drupal features.  In
> settings.php you can define $db_url as an array
> $db_url['default'] = normal drupal string
> $db_url['backoffice'] = other mysql connect string
>
> then you use db_set_active( db_key ) to switch between them as needed.

Is this a standard core feature, enabled by default? I feel like saying "why
wasn't I told about this before?" :)

One of the big problems we have is that many developers working on a given
codebase: this means the codebase is in subversion and people check it out
to their own machines, work on it, check changes back in.

Some developers develop on the same machine, because their desktops are
WinXX and setting up LAMP stacks takes time. On this machine, whilst they
can check out site-specific codebases to e.g.
sites/developername-clientname-devel.example.com and hence develop in their
own sandboxes, it's difficult to keep the site under revision and yet not
have people be forced to share a database by settings.php .

But with the above a high-priority module could switch quickly and cleanly
between developers' own sandboxed databases: does that sound right? How
would you sneak in before any of the other modules? Would the following at
the end of settings.php be sufficient:

	db_set_active($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']); // defaults to 'default'

Or is that too hacky? Can you even call a function from within settings.php
(notwithstanding the argument of "would you want to?")

Somewhere among all this is functionality to make Drupal a good deal more
"enterprise", for whatever that hackneyed term is worth. Transparently
distributed development for large-scale, independent CMS teams on their
clients' behalf.

Cheers,
J-P
--