[development] Active databases and development/test/production environment

J-P Stacey jp.stacey at torchbox.com
Fri Aug 17 13:57:44 UTC 2007

Hi Earnie,

> I hope and have assumed you're aware of the multi-sites features for
> version 5?

Yes, but it doesn't really solve the problem if we have several copies of a
client's site on the same server with each developer working on a copy:

	sites/jp.client.example.com
	sites/fred.client.example.com

Because both are subversion'ed, both settings.php will be the same; both
will therefore access the same database without some sort of hack, and Fred
might find his development stymied by my db changes.

If Fred changes his settings.php to point to the database
db_drupal_client_fred, then he's in danger of checking that in and (a) me
getting the same change when I grab any updates from the repository or (b)
worse, that change hitting the live site, which immediately keels over.

Everything ought to go through a test site, of course, but this becomes a
potential point of failure if urgent work is needed and the test site is
underused.

Cheers,
J-P
--