[development] Active databases and development/test/production environment

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 14:09:34 UTC 2007

On 8/17/07, J-P Stacey <jp.stacey at torchbox.com> wrote:

> Hi Earnie,
>
> > I hope and have assumed you're aware of the multi-sites features for
> > version 5?
>
> Yes, but it doesn't really solve the problem if we have several copies of
> client's site on the same server with each developer working on a copy:
>
>         sites/jp.client.example.com
>         sites/fred.client.example.com
>
> Because both are subversion'ed, both settings.php will be the same; both
> will therefore access the same database without some sort of hack, and
> Fred
> might find his development stymied by my db changes.

just svn:ignore settings.php

But the insurmountable problem is the impossibility of merging configuration
changes.
Also, even content import/export is hardly straightforward (complex
relationships with taxonomy)...

If Fred changes his settings.php to point to the database
> db_drupal_client_fred, then he's in danger of checking that in and (a) me
> getting the same change when I grab any updates from the repository or (b)
> worse, that change hitting the live site, which immediately keels over.
>
> Everything ought to go through a test site, of course, but this becomes a
> potential point of failure if urgent work is needed and the test site is
> underused

The only solution is that someone (usually me where I am) has to serve as
"head cook and bottlewasher" integrator in the test site.

The plot also thickens when customer needs to get content up in parrallel
with old version...

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar

.