[development] Advice Needed

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Mon Aug 27 22:24:23 UTC 2007

Op maandag 27 augustus 2007, schreef Mike Bishop:
> Hello all,
> Have a page that has a grid of information that needs to be easily
> editable and looking for suggestions on how to accomplish it in a
> drupal-esque way.
> There is no complex logic.
>
> Here is an example of what the page will emulate.
> http://skimadriver.com/snowreport.php

Depending on the amount of manpower/budget  you have available, I would say
(high to low):
* custom module. Allows you to make the admin UI tailor made for the client.
As well as the result for vieuwers. Design your own (highly optimised)
tables, simple code, performs a lot better then any general (cck/views) will
avver be able to, and gets you 98% where the client wants to get.
* Custom modules, only handling the display/ The input UI would be CCK, plus
some (unfriendly, scattered) settings and GUI pages. Often clients (think
they) don't need fancy input, as long as the output is 100% what they need.
This will get you very close there. The input is often a digital version of
ductape+rubberbands+paperclips and some jumping hoops.
* Views+cck. All ready made, but will never get you 100 where the client wants
to be. Often fine enough, but ofteb it gets you less then 60% where the
client wants to get. So it may be way out of line.

Bèr

--
Drupal, Ruby on Rails and Joomla! development: webschuur.com | Drupal hosting:
www.sympal.nl