[development] coding standard question

Steve Rude steve at achieveinternet.com
Mon Aug 27 23:43:47 UTC 2007

Fair enough.  The only things I would disagree with is that 1) Just
because there are only 2500 in the source code doesn't mean that they
don't get looped over quite a bit, and 2) my Mac Pro Quad Xeon with 4GB
of memory behaves all that much different than the Quad Xeon 4GB
webservers that we and our clients have deployed :)

The original question came out of the coder module which recommended
these changes for better "performance", and I looked into it, and
several other projects recommend using lower case for these constants,
as well as a couple bugs on the php.net bug list.  I actually prefer
writing with upper case, so the only point was if there was any real
world gain.

Here are the links I had found:

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=27286&edit=1
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV/PHP+Coding+Standard+(draft)?showComments=false#PHPCodingStandard%28draft%29-BooleansandtheNULLValue
http://drupal.org/node/121388
http://ilia.ws/archives/12-PHP-Optimization-Tricks.html

Other PHP software that use lower case true, false and null standard:

PEAR Standard - http://pear.php.net/manual/en/standards.naming.php
Joomla - http://help.joomla.org/content/view/826/125/
Mambo - http://www.source.mambo-foundation.org/content/view/117/69/
EZ Publish - http://ez.no/ezpublish/documentation/development/standards/php
Flyspray - http://flyspray.org/internal:conventions#constant_names
OSCommerce -
http://svn.oscommerce.com/fisheye/browse/osCommerce/tags/oscommerce-2.2rc1/STANDARD?r=1662
phpMyAdmin - http://phpmyadmin.sourceforge.net/documentation/
Zen Cart -
http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/Developers_Standards#Naming_Conventions
phpBB - http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/coding-guidelines.html#optimizing

And finally, thank you Peter for updating the docs to clarify.

Sorry to be a performance nut, but I can't help it.  I think a lot of us
are a little OCD sometimes :D

Steve Rude

--
Steve Rude + Lead Developer