[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate theGPL.

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Thu Aug 30 19:02:26 UTC 2007

On 8/30/07, FGM <fgm at osinet.fr> wrote:
> A commonly held view is that this is possible if, and only if,
> - they integrate using web services, and not direct invocations: it's
> commonly known as the "web services loophole".

Agreed.

> I don't agree with the
> FSF's interpretation that invoking independent PHP scripts
> constitutes linking, but that appears to be their stance.

Also agreed. What about a C library on the commandline? What about
command line invocation, through PHP, of anything?

>its purpose is to make a single
> unit of software out of those parts.

Don't agree. The purpose is to loosely couple two separate pieces of
code (for licensing, code maintenance, or 1000s of other reasons). Do
you want me to put a web services interface in between just to jump
through hoops?

(reading further down....)

If you do want to distribute, and the "other code" isn't GPL, then
you'll need to use web services. Shared address space my ass....that
just happens to be how scripting languages like PHP all work.

So, um, what if, completely separately, I am running app1 which is GPL
and app2 which is non GPL and they are running on the same PHP
process?

--
Boris Mann
Office 604-682-2889