[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 16:45:00 UTC 2007

I am all for system thinking and intended uses, but somehow I am
losing the "parts" view here, things like responsibilities,
consequences, legal or other.

Suppose I write a spelling checker for MS Word in VBA (I don't really
know VBA, just an example), with the clear intention to be used with
MS Word and nothing else. I slap a GPL license file with no caveats on
it and I distribute it. What happens now? What does it mean not to be
GPL-compliant in this case, practically?

MS or anyone else can take it, package it in some other software and
sell it, claiming that it is not really GPL? Is that it?

Also, because I have met lawyers before, are there any information
about how the "system" interpretation ever did in court?