[development] important reminder: do not use API functions inupdate code

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Dec 4 16:09:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:26:41 +0100, "Gábor Hojtsy" <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007 5:14 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de>
> wrote:
>> I am in favour of dropping the code for version-hopping updates. It has
>> always been a PITA to maintain it. If we leave it in, we need to fix it,
>> though. Let's simply remove it.
>
> OK, that avoids some of the problems (anyone up for an issue).
>
> The original note still applies to anyone writing updates.
>
> Gabor

Given our relatively short development cycle, it wouldn't surprise me if there are a lot of people trying to do 2-version jumps.  4.7 is still a supported version and will remain so until D6 is released.  Actively blocking people from jumping from a supported version (or just barely not supported) to a supported version (or just barely supported) seems, well, rude. :-)  Dropping 4.6 and earlier makes sense.

I'm all for recommending that people go through D5 first, but there's no need to make a 4.7->6 upgrade effectively impossible.  (Or a 5->7 upgrade later, or 6->8, etc.)

--Larry Garfield