[development] Mischievous registration of projects

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Dec 19 01:53:11 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007, at 2:56 AM, Thomas Barregren wrote:

> and that the Submit Project form <http://drupal.org/node/add/
> project_project/> strongly express that registrations of projects
> without also making a release node is unacceptable.

I disagree with this.  People should (re)read the email I sent almost
exactly 1 year ago about why people shouldn't put in-development code
in the sandbox, but should instead use actual project nodes for it...

http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/2006-December/021316.html

This was in response to a huge, ugly thread about removing the CVS
sandbox entirely, so don't worry about the first few paragraphs, and
instead focus on the rest of it, starting with:

> that said, after reading all the related threads, i've noticed a few
> important misconceptions about how project nodes, release nodes, and
> our CVS repository interact with each other.  i'll grant that all of
> this has been in flux (hopefully for the better) for the last year,
> but i think it's essential to clear these up as this discussion of
> the sandboxes evolves:

i specifically talk about why it's sometimes a good idea to create a
project node but not necessarily create any release nodes.

enjoy,
-derek (dww)