[development] Drupal 6 release schedule

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Feb 1 00:56:39 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 4:03 pm, Zohar Stolar wrote:

> Finally, and this relates to a parallel discussion about maintaining
> "old" modules, we must remember that our clients (we do work for them,
> eventually), can not all afford upgrades so often. This might sound
> idiotic, but it must be taken into consideration. Smart clients, and
> most of them are, are studying the market well before investing in such
> a content platform, that is becoming more and more centric in business.
> If we move too fast for modules' maintainers to upgrade their modules,
> we'll end up with a very advanced CMS, but our sites won't survive more
> than a year.
>
> OK - while writing this I already received two excited mails about the
> date (Dries is a year behind, go to sleep... or wake up!  ;-) ), and
> anyway, I'm reaching the midnight barrier where I'm at (remember - no
> posts to the list after midnight for the sake of our sanity :-) ), and I
> wrote too much (maybe I AM becoming too old....), So I'll just finish
> with a small proposition: let's try to at least make n effort and
> prepare the community for the changes. Periodic posts about tendencies
> in the development will soften the shock when D6 lands here.
>
> Good night all,
> Zohar

To come back to the original topic, note that we're not talking about
releasing Drupal 6 on 1 June but freezing it.  Given the freeze length that
the last two versions of Drupal have had, I suspect an actual release would
then happen somewhere around Thanksgiving.  (That's late November for you
non-United Statesians.)  I'm not going to get into the good/bad question, but
I will say that is at least consistent from what I've seen. :-)

Personally, what I'd really love to see in D6 is value-add rich-content fields
(CCK).  As I mentioned a few weeks back, right now you can either write a CCK
field and add it to a node manually OR you can value-add more primitive
elements dynamically, but you can't do both (AFAIK).  I don't know if anyone
is working on a way to let us have our cake and eat it too (without hosing
SQL performance), but if someone is please let me know in case I am able to
dig up some time to help. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012