[development] CVS branch work best practices?

Chad Phillips -- Apartment Lines chad at apartmentlines.com
Fri Feb 2 16:08:41 UTC 2007

AjK wrote:

> Now, in HEAD, I start porting to DRUPAL CORE HEAD. There's no point
> adding
> features here as we are probably in code freeze anyway and we're all
> upgrading like mad.
>
> Then, DRUPAL-6 comes along. Branch my module, wipe HEAD (till next
> code
> freeze) and continue devel down the DRUPAL-6 branch.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but given this approach, why ever
have HEAD at all?

let's say you permanently wipe the files in HEAD except for the
README.  couldn't you just create the DRUPAL-6 branch directly from
the latest DRUPAL-5 work?  it doesn't seem like HEAD ever needs to
exist in this model, except as a placeholder for the README.

am i off base??

chad