[development] Tracking modules via CVS, WAS: Re: CVS branch work best practices?

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Mon Feb 5 15:40:57 UTC 2007

On 2/5/07, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> Up to now, I was using CVS  to track  Drupal 4.7 core and modules. The new
> system does complicate matters, since it is quite acceptable to do:
>
> DRUPAL-5 as a branch
> DRUPAL-5--1-0 as a tag
> ... changes
> DRUPAL-5--1-1 as a tag

there should be a DRUPAL-5--2 branch from the same branch point as the
DRUPAL-5  branch before this next step:
> ... changes
> DRUPAL-5--2-0 as a tag

Please see my earlier post for clarification:
http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/2007-February/022380.html

I'm mostly representing dww's point of view on this idea.

> If you do an update from CVS while changes are in but before the module is
> tagged
> you have the chance of getting unstable code.

Which has always been the case with the old system.  Right?  The old
DRUPAL-4-7 branch of contrib isn't known to be stable so if you
updated down that you could get anything (stable, unstable, buggy,
etc.).

Regards,
Greg