[development] Tracking modules via CVS, WAS: Re: CVS branch work best practices?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Feb 5 15:35:41 UTC 2007

On 2/5/07, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:

> Adrian Simmons wrote:
> > Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> >> Yeah, this is a somewhat annoying point about the new release system.
>
> > Such was my suspicion. The whole cvs export > svk import vendor branch
> > etc has been great for speeding up site updates to my multisite install.
> > This inability to track the latest stable branch will slow me down. Such
> > is life :)

Up to now, I was using CVS  to track  Drupal 4.7 core and modules. The new
system does complicate matters, since it is quite acceptable to do:

DRUPAL-5 as a branch
DRUPAL-5--1-0 as a tag
... changes
DRUPAL-5--1-1 as a tag
... changes
DRUPAL-5--2-0 as a tag

If you do an update from CVS while changes are in but before the module is
tagged
you have the chance of getting unstable code.

I think we need to think of a way to accommodate developers. It may be just
a bunch of How To documents that organize the thoughts mentioned in this
thread.

There is also this that hit CVS a few hours ago:
http://drupal.org/project/module_installer
But it is for end users, not developers who want to maintain patched
versions.

--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com