[development] Tracking modules via CVS, WAS: Re: CVS branch work best practices?

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Mon Feb 5 15:29:01 UTC 2007

Adrian Simmons wrote:
> Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>> Yeah, this is a somewhat annoying point about the new release system.

> Such was my suspicion. The whole cvs export > svk import vendor branch
> etc has been great for speeding up site updates to my multisite install.
> This inability to track the latest stable branch will slow me down. Such
> is life :)

Well, improvements to our development process aren't out of the
question. I don't know enough about CVS to make qualified suggestions.
Could we somehow automatically create a say 4.7-LATEST tag for each module?

>> I've wanted to write a script that does at east finds out which tags
>> exist to any given branch, but didn't get around to it.
> I've just subscribed to the drupal.org cvs commits mailing list and will
> work up some filters in Thunderbird for the modules I'm subscribed too.
> That way I should be able to figure out which is the best version, and
> when a new release happens for the modules I have installed.
>
> I'll just have to keep updating my cvs export script to use the right tag.

That can be a lot of work, if you have a lot of sites using different
modules.

Cheers,
	Gerhard