[development] should tinymce get a new maintainer tinymce

Kevin Reynen kreynen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 16:22:27 UTC 2007

I posted a hack last night that will allow you to customize the
TinyMCE theme displayed for each role... http://drupal.org/node/116006

I don't see any reason why this functionality couldn't be added to the
module the way "Enable TinyMCE for this node types:" was added.
Allowing users to type the role names like they now do with content
types isn't ideal, but it would restore some of the missing
functionality.

The other complaint I've seen repeatedly posted is the lack of GUI to
select the buttons that
appear in TinyMCE.  The GUI was nice and I certainly used it, but the
new module doesn't require any additional tables to store those
settings and uses the same method of configuration (customizing the
.js themes) that the rest of the TinyMCE using world uses.

Customizing the .js files isn't going to cause problems with upgrades
unless you are upgrading the TinyMCE part of the module.  When you
download updated versions of the module, you are still going to need
to download a new version of TinyMCE or copy the version with your
customized .js themes into the module folder.  If anything, following
the TinyMCE way of customizing .js themes makes it easier to upgrade
the TinyMCE part of the module.

I don't know this module's maintainer.  I've never communicated
directly with drupal-id, but I think replacing a maintainer because a
module is lacks some features is an extreme move.  The module code he
produced is solid and works well for me.  It would be nice to hear
from drupal-id more often, but the module functions and there are
other ways to achieve the desired functionality that was included in
the 4.7 version.

I expect that someone will rewrite my hack into a patch adding a text
fields to the TinyMCE admin interface.  If that patch sits for a more
than a month without any action from drupal-id, then I'd agree a new
maintainer is needed.
___

Kevin Reynen
Integrated Media Coordinator