[development] should tinymce get a new maintainer tinymce

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Mon Feb 5 18:26:54 UTC 2007

Kevin Reynen wrote:
> Is everyone is aware that drupal-id was maintaining TinyMCE plus
> (http://drupal.org/project/tinymce_plus) before taking over the
> TinyMCE module?
>
> Is the suggestion to move drupal-id's current module back to TinyMCE
> plus and revert TinyMCE to the patched version of 4.7?
>
> It seems like the project was already forked once and making drupal-id
> the maintainer of the primary module was an attempt to merge these
> efforts.

That is indeed the case.

> Learning to edit the theme .js files may push less technical users
> beyond their comfort zone, but it is really the TinyMCE way of doing
> things.   There are 3 very usable themes included for people who just
> can't edit comma separated lists.  For those who want to learn to
> modify their .js themes, there is community that is much bigger than
> just the TinyMCE module users who help support this.  Drupal users
> make up a small part of TinyMCE users.

I am well known to not be too interested in having a slick UI, but
editing .js files is not acceptable.

> If you really can't use TinyMCE without a GUI toolbar designer,
> wouldn't the proper place to do that be as a stand alone tool that
> output theme.js files that any TinyMCE user could use?  Write that in
> javascript and release it as a TinyMCE tool.  Users could design their
> toolbars and save that .js file to their
> /modules/tinymce/includes/themes/.  The admin interface for the
> TinyMCE module would simply allow users to link their theme .js files
> with their roles (a Drupal specific feature).

Putting the configuration part into a separate module would be an
option, yes.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 4.7 (and patched 5) button
> configuration bypass the .js theme files?  Shouldn't Drupal
> development respect the way other frameworks want to handle their
> configuration?

If we think it could be improved, I can't see a reason to not improve it.

> I have neither been involved with Drupal long enough nor been active
> enough to deserve a vote,

Software development is a decidedly non-democratic process anyway.

> but if I'd had one it would be to "stay the
> course" drupal-id started regardless of who the maintainer is.

If this involves "edit JS files to get what you want" you'd probably get
a lof of complaints, too. :p

Cheers,
	Gerhard