[development] should tinymce get a new maintainer tinymce

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Mon Feb 5 20:06:29 UTC 2007

Allie Micka wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2007, at 11:12 AM, Boris Mann wrote:
>> And, of course, the fact that the users and other developers have been
>> trying to get in touch with the maintainer for 3 - 4 weeks with no
>> response.
>
> Unfortunately, I feel that our hands are tied on this matter.
>
> It's true that the maintainer has not actively participated in these
> threads, closed any issues, or responded to personal emails.  However,
> he is continuing to commit to this "forked" version.  Last week, he
> added a comma-delimited text field where you can type in the node types
> you wish TinyMCE to appear on (!).
>
> While he might not be communicating or coding in a way that most of us
> would agree with, this module is arguably still being maintained.
> Unless we hear otherwise from Drupal-id, I'm afraid that the only fair
> choice is to create a *third* TinyMCE project to maintain the un-forked
> version.
>
> Hopefully, this can serve as a warning about handing our modules off to
> new maintainers.  TinyMCE was an important and popular module, yet this
> new maintainer had no previous modules or community participation.
> After 6 months of being listed as a maintainer, the very first commit -
> ever - was this controversial fork.

The problem was that tinymce didn't have a maintainer. Then he got
maintainership but decided to start his "plus" version instead. This got
him some complaints about creating yet-another-JS-editor module and so
he apparently decided to make his version the official version.

As I said, I've contacted him and hope this can be resolved. It would be
ideal if he'd accept say Kevin as a co-maintainer.

Should this not be possible, I'll probably restore maintainership to the
last maintainer who was working along Dries' thoughts on the matter
(http://buytaert.net/responsible-maintainers) and let him take it from
there. tinymce.module is the second most downloaded contrib module, we
can't have such a screw-up there.

Cheers,
	Gerhard