[development] CCK in Drupal 6

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:31:33 UTC 2007

On 06 Feb 2007, at 10:08, Darrel O'Pry wrote:
> The polish bit is quite a bit of work. Things that need shining...
>
> - Simplify CCK API's.
>   - _info hooks could easily be rolled into the _settings hook.
>
>   - hook_widget could lose most of its ops to FormAPI
>
>   - formatters need some type of settings form, maybe not now but
>     sometime. I've been running into many cases with imagefield where
>     people want more and more options for formatters.
>
>   - leverage FormAPI better for all forms.
>
> - Field Grouping code needs TLC. It looked pretty hairy last time I
> looked at it. It's a really cool feature, but I'm not certain it
> belongs
> in CCK. It's usefulness has a much wider scope.
>
> - Getting per field access control right.
>
> - Multivalue support needs love. Values are often left in the database
> after all values of multivalues fields are deleted. It causes some
> chaos
> and sanity checks in places they shouldn't be necessary.
>

> Things we should just do for posterity's sake:
> - Security Review
> - Usability and Copy Review.
> - Review Inline Documentation.

Thanks Darrel -- good overview.  I just wanted to remark that it
doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" approach.  We can start by
migrating a couple of things to core, and worry about the other bits
once that has been taken care of.  Step 1 could be adding support for
adding an additional textfield without special access control or
field grouping.