[development] should tinymce get a new maintainer tinymce

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Tue Feb 6 20:58:58 UTC 2007

Metzler, David wrote:
> Thanks Kevin for your diligence in trying to solve this one....
>
> Suggesting an alternate outcome:
>
> I realize that this could be new ground, but is it possible for the
> outcome to be that we create a new project such as TinyMCE2 which
> becomes the drupal-id code and leave his maintainer status intact on
> that one?

I feel this is going too far in the protection of someone's right to be
a module maintainer. The TinyMCE module was the product of a handful of
longtime, dedicated, dependable Drupal developers. People like Matt
Westgate and Ted Serbinsky come to mind. When you inherit the work of
developers of this caliber, you have to prove yourself. I would be much
more vocal for someone's right to do a crappy job maintaining a module
that they had initially created that I will be for this current
maintainer who is dismantling the good work that came before. I'm not
saying that he should be booted without being given a further chance...
it is still possible that all the communications will land home and the
situation will resolve... but until then we owe him nothing in terms of
protecting his rights to the module. Branch the code he contributed so
it is there, somewhere, when and if he comes back, and get on with
making TinyMCE the great module that it was and can be.