[development] should tinymce get a new maintainer tinymce

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Fri Feb 9 02:45:25 UTC 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 7:55 PM, Kevin Reynen wrote:

> This makes my head hurt!
>
> Since taking over as maintainer, I...
> Then this afternoon...
>
> I discover drupal-id updated the TinyMCE module last night.

This is the nature of open source.  Nobody owes anybody anything,
we're all just out to scratch our own itches.  The process works when
people realize that you can help yourself in a way that helps
others.  In turn, you get more help and insight from others, and
you'll find that they are helping themselves in a way that helps you.

Spending your time and energy on a project should earn you a say, and
most folks will acknowledge that.  But it doesn't give you any
special entitlements.  If you want something done in *exactly* the
way you would do it, you have to take some ownership.

> I've been doing my best to help users with issue, get a handle on
> what's going on, and figure out how to move forward.  I know several
> developers and many users jumped the tinymce ship and moved to moxie,
> but there are links to the tinymce project in hundreds of Drupal
> howtos.

Hopefully, by now, you realize from your own experience that this
wasn't about "jumping ship".  This was about respecting the project
maintainer's rights to make his own decisions, while finding ways to
address our own needs.

> Anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this?

You can respect the project maintainer's rights to make his own
decisions, while finding ways to address your own needs.  If you do
this in a way that helps others, you are participating in the open
source process.

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://www.pajunas.com

scalable web hosting and open source strategies