[development] No more .zip files on project issues?

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 11:19:53 UTC 2007

Version Control, in software development of all kinds, has become a standard
way for groups to collaborate on code.
As a rule of thumb, if it isn't worth putting under version control, it
isn't worth sharing.
These days, with excellent GUI version control clients, it becomes
relatively easy to use, it is a matter of getting used to it.
Also, once the code of a piece of software reaches a certain level of
complexity, it is hard to know what anything is unless it is under version
control, i.e., in context.

Look what Oracle has to say about Drupal (from bert boerland's blog today):

*"Drupal is an example of an advanced content management framework. With
Drupal, it is possible to manage a variety of content and to do so in a
consistent and well-organized manner."

*It is not a "script", it is a sophisticated piece of software.
*
*So let's say you get a brilliant idea and you zip and it and post it and I
download it and look at it, and put it into, say, my temp directory.

A couple of weeks later, I don't know if it is for Drupal 4.7, Drupal 5, if
it is an improvement of... what? I don't know in what context it exists. So
I have to erase it, otherwise I might put it somewhere it could do some
harm.

I think it is a mark of maturity of Drupal as software and Drupal as a
community.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar
**