[development] "Is this a bug?" type questions

Michael Favia michael at favias.org
Mon Feb 12 18:02:37 UTC 2007

Karoly Negyesi wrote:
>> IMO the slapping down was probably a little premature, and if you believe it's
>> on topic, go ahead and ask; and if someone slaps you down, apologize and move
>> on and just keep in mind that many of us (self included) are a little quick
>> with the Slap Down button. =)
>
> Also note that contributing means that you won't slapped down or much less. At least from me. But probably from others too.

This is a very important point that new open source developers dont seem
to get right out of the gate. Your contributions to the project in their
various forms contribute to some unknown attribute that we'll call
"karma". The more karma you have the more anyone that has been involved
with the project for sometime will be willing to help you out, etc.

Just because you see someone else ask something similar doesn't
necessarily mean your question will be treated with the same warmth and
acceptance.

If all you ever do is take pennies from the change tray don't be angry
if you get dirty looks from time to time. Oh and dont touch the Jar.
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151804/quotes).

Michael Favia                   michael at favias.org
tel. 512.585.5650        http://michael.favias.org