[development] Bugfix releases for contrib

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Tue Feb 13 20:46:02 UTC 2007

On 2/13/07, Ken Rickard <agentrickard at gmail.com> wrote:
>  - Quickly release bugfix #3?
>  - Post a patch for existing (known) bugs and note that a new release is
> forthcoming after XX days of bug checking?

How about a third option: regular releases.

I think we (contrib developers and contrib-module-downloaders) all
benefit from having sites using the most recent stable version of a
module.  If the contrib developers were to all release new stable
releases at a regular basis then it's easier for downloader-users to
know to check for a new version and then get one and download it.  If
lots of module developers do this then a downloader-user can check for
new versions on that regular schedule rather than having to use other
means to look for new versions.

If something is critical like a security problem then you break from
that schedule, but otherwise just stick to the once monthly.  If
someone is really bitten by a nasty bug before the scheduled one then
they can help test out patches or the end of the branch.

This is a common mechanism for updates (e.g. RedHat, MSWindows).  So,
what do folks think about the idea of a schedule of releases?

My strategy as a developer would be something like:
X days before the release try to identify the bugs I want to fix and
make solutions
Y days before the release commit those patches and call for testers

Where X > Y (duh).

If you like it, what seems like a reasonable period?  Once a week?
Once a month?  Once a quarter?  Month seems best to me.

Thoughts?

One other (somewhat related) topic is the idea of discussion areas
specific to modules or specific sets of modules.  For path.module and
pathauto and urlify we have the "paths" group
http://groups.drupal.org/paths  It's been relatively useful for
communicating these kinds of things.  It could also be used to
announce new major releases in a way that people can get an email
(e.g. send an email using the email all manager function of groups).

Regards,
Greg