[development] installation profiles on drupal.org

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sat Feb 17 03:42:35 UTC 2007

On Friday 16 February 2007 6:57 pm, Frando (Franz Heinzmann) wrote:

> So there is some kind of consesus that, generally, installation profiles
> should be hosted on drupal.org. And there seem to be some voices in
> favor of improving the cvs packaging script to be capable of packaging
> the contrib modules that a distribution needs together with the install
> profile and maybe drupal core, in which I also am in favor of. See [1]
> for details.
>
> However, I agree with Boris Mann here:
> If there are some install profiles, the hosting requirements on
> drupal.org should be created. But install profiles should come first.

Until the chicken-and-egg issue is taken care of (why host profiles until
there are enough to be worth it), what about simply having a page on d.o
somewhere (probably in the handbook, linked from /handbooks so it's easy to
find) that points to provided profiles that are hosted off-site?  That shows
that they're actually being built and gives a common place to find/publicize
new profiles.  Then, when/if they reach some critical threshold (defined
as "when Dries and/or Derek decide it's worth it"), CVS can be enhanced as
discussed.

And before anyone mentions it, no, posting links on g.d.o is not sufficient,
IMO.  It's too "out of the way" for people who don't know to find it, and a
simple announcement goes off the group front page and gets lost in other
discussion far too easily.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012