[development] installation profiles on drupal.org

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Sat Feb 17 06:37:37 UTC 2007

On 2/16/07, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:

> > However, I agree with Boris Mann here:
> > If there are some install profiles, the hosting requirements on
> > drupal.org should be created. But install profiles should come first.
>
> Until the chicken-and-egg issue is taken care of (why host profiles until
> there are enough to be worth it), what about simply having a page on d.o
> somewhere (probably in the handbook, linked from /handbooks so it's easy to
> find) that points to provided profiles that are hosted off-site?  That shows
> that they're actually being built and gives a common place to find/publicize
> new profiles.  Then, when/if they reach some critical threshold (defined
> as "when Dries and/or Derek decide it's worth it"), CVS can be enhanced as
> discussed.

Sure. Anyone can add book pages. I could add "as soon as there is an
install profile more complicated than a simple language translation to
link to" to be a bit snarky :P

Note: I'd love to see different install profiles available as part of
Drupal CORE. I have a very basic wiki page up about this:
http://groups.drupal.org/node/2404

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747