[development] Missing CVS branches in contrib -- peeve

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Jan 2 19:54:20 UTC 2007

On 1/2/07, Chris Johnson <cxjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a pet peeve.   Be forewarned.  :-)
>
> Today, for the Nth time, I again wasted time looking for a module in
> the 4.7 branch of the contrib repository that was not there.  Why?
> Because it was in the HEAD branch, even though it only works with 4.7
> -- and not 5.0 or later.
>
> So this brings me to my pet peeve of the moment:  module maintainers
> who do not branch their modules when appropriate.
>
> How can this be made easier for people

We need a good concise document explaining step by step how to version
code. Ideally with some popular GUI client examples.

> and more reliable for folks
> who want to download or checkout contrib code?

Create an issue requesting it.

This will be an iterative process. This is the "next step" of having
more professional "best practices" code management. Unfortunately,
doing the actually branching can only be done by the maintainer.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747