[development] Missing CVS branches in contrib -- peeve

Ken Rickard agentrickard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 20:38:06 UTC 2007

> We need a good concise document explaining step by step how to version
code.

http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs/quickstart

I've made decent progress with CVS using that document (and the good
documentation on release best practices
http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs/releases).  I find it easy to manage releases
given the intstructions.

My question is slightly naive and slightly different.

I don't maintain HEAD as an active branch.  That is, only 4-7--x and 5--x
branches are actually working code.  What I haven't found are any explicit
instructions regarding the use of HEAD vs. the other branches.

See the issue submitted here: http://drupal.org/node/101118, for example.

I think I'm a good example of someone who uses CVS but doesn't understand
it, so I'd like to know what the expectation is regarding HEAD.

So, should I be committing all new changes to HEAD as well as 5--x?  Or
should HEAD only be used for code that complies with changes to Drupal HEAD?

Or have I missed the point entirely.

--
Ken Rickard
agentrickard