[development] Version2 Module

Doug Green douggreen at douggreenconsulting.com
Tue Jan 2 22:59:43 UTC 2007

I want to announce a new Developer Module named "version2" that assists with
keeping contributed modules up to date and summarizing their upgrade
availability.  If you install this module on a 4.7 site, you can quickly
determine if you are ready for the 5.0 upgrade based on the availability of
5.0 modules.

http://drupal.org/project/version2

I believe that it works, but it is brand spanking new (I wrote it last night
and today) and should be considered beta quality.  But as we are in the
middle of an upgrade push, I wanted to make it available sooner rather than
later.

Version2 reads the current version information of enabled contributed
modules from CVS/Tag, the CVS $Id$ string, and from the new .info files.
Using cron, it gets the current version information from cvs.drupal.org to
determine if your there are both minor or major upgrades available; update
checks are currently limited to once per day. Version2 displays this
information on a single page and creates watchdog events when an upgrade is
available.

To quickly determine your contrib module upgrade availability for the next
major release, install version2 on your current site and look for links in
the cvstag column. These are links to the new release download on
cvs.drupal.org. If most/all of your contrib modules are available, then it's
time to upgrade your site!

Doug Green
904-583-3342
www.civicactions.com