[development] Missing CVS branches in contrib -- peeve

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Jan 3 01:54:23 UTC 2007

On Jan 2, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Metzler, David wrote:

> It seems to me that the docs conflict just a bit.

i hope not. ;)

> Every time you branch, it seems to imply that you're going to
> maintain that branch for bug fixes, and I don't do that (don't have
> time).

no, it implies "this is a set of code compatible with a given version
of core, and only changes relevant to this version of core will be
made here".  there's no guarantee that *you* are going to maintain
it.  it's possible you'll do it yourself.  it's possible you'll
nurture a team of developers around the module and one of them will
be the designated "maintainer" of an older version (e.g. webchick
used to be the dedicated 4.6 maintainer for OG).  it's possible
you'll completely leave it alone, but maybe someone else can pick up
the torch...  the key is that this is API-specific code, which is why
it's on a separate branch from code that's ported to a different API.

> I will probably maintain head for the current stable version, and
> when I decide it's time to port, I'll create a branch to maintain
> bugfixes only in the prior stable release version, and continue new
> feature development in HEAD.  Regardless as to how many branches I
> create (cause the docs tell me to) I'm trying to see if I'm missing
> something here.

the branches aren't *just* for your benefit.  i think that's what
you're missing.  the other thing you're missing is that once you
create a branch, it's both a bad idea, and quite a pain in the ass,
to try to remove it. ;)  so, just because a DRUPAL-4-6 branch still
exists doesn't mean it's being actively maintained.  when you move on
to only supporting DRUPAL-5, the code in the DRUPAL-4-7 branch is
still there, but you're not forced/required to maintain it.  however,
with proper branching, it's at least *possible* for someone to
maintain it if desired or needed.

> The only reason I bring this up, is that I've created a 5.0 branch
> on my
> code that I will "never alter any code in" because the doc's suggested
> I'd be irresponsible if I didn't.

the docs are trying to encourage people to leave the stable branches
stable (DRUPAL-5), and develop new features in a new feature branch
(DRUPAL-5--2 or HEAD).  however, the very beginning of a "stable"
branch isn't necessarily stable. ;)

> Shouldn't I have waited till 5.0 released before creating this branch?

you could have, but not necessarily.  maybe you wanted to port your
existing 4.7.x functionality to the 5.x API, but otherwise, not start
adding a bunch of new features at the same time.  in that case, you'd
port the latest 4.7.x code to the 5.x API in HEAD, make a stable
DRUPAL-5 branch off of that, and then work on new features, code
redesign, etc, in HEAD.

> Is there a reason I shouldn't develop 5.x-0.1 in HEAD and then tag
> new releases from that?.

not really.  if you're not adding *any* new features, and are only
maintaining stable code with security updates and bug fixes, you
could do it all in HEAD, instead of making a DRUPAL-5 branch.
however, many people like to check-out from a given branch in CVS
when setting up test sites or even live sites.  it's nice to follow
convention, so people know what to expect.  and, even though the
release nodes now force you to say what version of core they're
compatible with, checkouts directly from CVS don't necessarily have
the benefit of that.  so, using HEAD directly for a live site sucks,
since HEAD today might be 5.x-core, but in a few months, it's now 6.x-
core.  HEAD is a moving target, so it's a nightmare for people trying
to use in live sites...  hence "responsible maintainers use proper
branches".

> (I've already created a DRUPAL-4-7 branch to maintain my 4.7
> compatible code in and created new releases from it). Am I being
> "irresponsible"?  What am I missing here?

the irresponsible thing would be to start adding a bunch of new
features or other unstable code to your currently supported stable
branch.  just ask killes. ;)  if people are using your module, and
build a site, and some security vulnerability is discovered in your
contrib, you need to be able to release a new version everyone can
upgrade to right away.  if the only code compatible with the 4.7.x
API had a bunch of new features that might also break their
production site, they're screwed, and it's all your fault.  so, if
you're adding new features, do it in a different branch, so you can
keep (at least) 1 branch stable, secure, and ready for upgrades at a
moment's notice, and another branch (or HEAD) for new features and
progress.

> Decide for yourself whether you think this is in conflict:
>
> On the one hand......
> http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs/branches-and-tags/contributions
>
> Once a contribution has been ported to a given version of the Drupal
> core API, the maintainer should create a branch that matches the
> branch
> name used by core. This is not technically required, but is definitely
> recommended for responsible project maintainers. These initial stable
> branches have the exact same format as Drupal core branches, for
> example
> DRUPAL-5 or DRUPAL-4-7.

right, this is saying "by convention, once your code works with the
new version of core, make a stable branch and leave it stable so that
folks can build production sites with it".

> On the other.....
> http://drupal.org/node/17570#HEAD
> Eventually, you'll decide it is safe to update the module to the next
> version of core. At this point you should make a new branch for your
> previously developed features, before you start porting to the latest
> version of core. Once that branch was created, you would convert your
> module in HEAD, and when you consider it stable enough for an official
> release, you would create a new stable branch that was compatible with
> the new version of core.

yeah, sorry, this is slightly confusing.  you need to read the rest
of this section for this particular bit to make sense. :( the
previous few sentences you didn't include say:

"Any bug fixes you make in your current stable branch should be
committed to HEAD as well. Additionally, new features or any major
changes to your code should be developed directly in HEAD. You can
tag official releases in HEAD, but identify them as the development
series for the previous version of core."

it goes on to give an example to show what i'm talking about:

"For example, during the entire period when the 5.0 release was being
developed, the HEAD of your module would remain compatible with the
4.7.x core API. Any bugs you fix on the DRUPAL-4-7 branch would be
committed to HEAD, but you would also add new features and do other
major changes there. Once you had a set of new features working well
enough to release, you would add the DRUPAL-4-7--2-0 tag to a
workspace checked out from HEAD and submit a release node pointing to
this tag (which would be version 4.7.x-2.0). Time goes on, and you
add more features, so you create the DRUPAL-4-7--2-1 tag for the
4.7.x-2.1 release and so on. At some point, you feel like the 5.x
core API is stable enough to port your module to, so you add the
DRUPAL-4-7--2 branch off the end of HEAD so you could continue to
make 4.7.x-2.x releases if you needed to (for example, to fix a
security hole in the 4.7.x-2.2 release). Now, you can update your
module, and when it is stable, you add a DRUPAL-5 branch and start
the whole process over again as the Drupal core 6.x API is developed
in the core repository's HEAD branch."

i know i wrote it all, so it all makes perfect sense to me, but that
doesn't seem to contradict the previous thing about "make the
DRUPAL-5 branch when you have stable code and leave it stable" at
all. ;)  feel free to make concrete suggestions for improvement...

> Thanks again Derek for the new release system... I am loving it!

glad to hear it!

cheers,
-derek