[development] Version2 Module

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Jan 3 02:15:13 UTC 2007

On Jan 2, 2007, at 5:53 PM, Earl Miles wrote:

> I really, really think using information from CVS for updates is a
> bad, bad idea and is a step backward from where we're heading.

i basically agree, but given what actually exists right now, there
aren't a lot of better alternatives.  we desperately need a solution
(i.e. someone to write the code) for:

"provide module version info from drupal.org"
http://drupal.org/node/48580

then, "version_updates.module" (or whatever we call this thing) can
work as contrib for older versions (5.x, 4.7.x, etc), and in D6, we
can finish implementing:

"module page could say if new releases are available"
http://drupal.org/node/94154

however, until #48580 is done, all you've got to work with is screen-
scraping project nodes or something, and that's no joke.

so, while i share earl's general distaste for this particular
implementation in the long run, i can't at all blame doug for going
this route in the meantime, since you have to build code with what
exists, not with what's on my TODO list[1]. ;)  of course, i would
have rather doug knew about, wrote, tested, and provided a patch for
#48580, helped get it all the way through review, commit and d.o
deployment, and *then* built the contrib module we all wanted to see
based on that, but who can blame him for just asking cvs.drupal.org
instead?

cheers,
-derek

[1] http://groups.drupal.org/node/1830 (among others) ;)