[development] hook_nodeapi()

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:16:03 UTC 2007

As mentioned in another thread, we're still in an intermediate state
moving from the old node system to a CCK-like node system.  It's not
an ideal situation to be in, but it is important we tackle this one
step at a time.

The old system might still have its purpose though; when performance
matters, writing your own node type might be less intrusive in terms
of CPU-usage.  Plus, the CCK can easily become a very complex beast
that is difficult to grok (no hackability, no simple interface,
impossible to understand in 20 minutes).  That are the two things
that worry me, and I'll guard these concerns when reviewing patches.

When I proposed and wrote the node system 4 years ago (or so), people
had mixed feelings about it ... :) I'm glad that today there is a
consensus about how to transform the node system.  Probably because
we can see and test what the CCK has to offer.  Now we know what
needs to be done, I can only hope there will be enough people willing
to write actual code in a relative short time (i.e. the last active
development cycle was 3 months).

Ideally, all your modules are ported to Drupal 5, and you're already
working on code for Drupal 6.  ;-)  I'll open up the new development
branch real soon now.

Go, go!