[development] Core: DRUPAL-5 branched

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu Jan 18 08:11:53 UTC 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Neil Drumm wrote:

> I could change it now if I wanted to break everyone's bookmarks,
> but I don't.

you're going to break everyone's links as soon as you change HEAD to
point to the 6.x API no matter what you do.  that's exactly the point
of why we shouldn't use HEAD any more.  what are you planning to
redirect HEAD links to?  5.x?  4.7.x?  no matter what you do, it'll
be wrong for some existing links.

i say just break the links, since they're already doomed. ;)  then,
when people repair their links, they'll be forced to correctly point
to the version they originally intended, and life will be better in
the end.

> It will be something closer to http://api.drupal.org/api/function/
> hook_menu/6.x

out of curiosity, why?

a) how is that better than having the version right next to the "api"
part of the URL? (and why break existing links that do point to
specific version -- or force yourself to do url re-writing tricks to
get the old links to still work?)

b) how would you view a listing of all functions in a given core API
version?  for example:

http://api.drupal.org/api/4.7/function

would that become:

http://api.drupal.org/api/function/5

seems a little wonky, since then sometimes it's a function name that
comes after "function", and sometimes a version.

c) not all functions exist in all versions of the API, so it seems
weirder to me conceptually to have the version last (thinking of it
like a tree).  what would exist at:

http://api.drupal.org/api/function/hook_menu

(w/o a version)?  would that show you the "current" version of the
API's docs for that function (eek).  what if the function has been
deprecated in the current version of the api, for example:

http://api.drupal.org/api/function/hook_settings

??  seems like trouble, but then again, i've never looked at
api.module, and am probably missing many important details.

however, i don't care that much.  so long as HEAD is totally gone
from api.d.o, i'll be happy. ;)

thanks,
-derek