[development] Splitting hook_menu into hook_menu and hook_router

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Fri Jan 19 02:43:46 UTC 2007

> > Why would splitting the router and the menu reduce memory usage?
> > Have you tested this?  I'd think you end up with more arrays and some
> > duplication.

Kindly please stop the memory discussion, it's pointless and it seems you guys think in old menu terms.

There are no memory or performance affects of this split whatsoever. Read http://drupal4hu.com/node/28 for gory details. To sum up, one database query will select the pre-themed and aliased menu items in order and put them into lists. There is no change to this process whatever way we filled up the database table.

We now focus on the build details, not something that happens on runtime. Nor hook_menu nor hook_router will be consulted on runtime. The current menu patch already does not look at hook_menu aside from build time, that's why I thought of moving them to .menu but that's for later.