[development] Splitting hook_menu into hook_menu and hook_router

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Fri Jan 19 16:50:23 UTC 2007

I think we'll need to think carefully about what it means to have two
different menu items tied to the same path.  If these are in separate
parts of the menu tree, it creates some ambiguity about which parts of
the menu should be expanded and which shouldn't when a particular path
is gotten to.  My prediction is that trying to resolve this ambiguity
will lead to some pretty messy code.

I agree tab coding needs cleaning up, but there are aspects of this
loose coupling that actually becomes harder when you separate the
concepts.  If I navigate to example.com/admin/themes and that is
available say as a tab, and as separate menu item, how do I know whether
to display the tabbed context or not? I don't see how I can without
tightly coupling the concept of path and menu navigation.

So if we separate the router and the menu, I think the path needs to
stay with the menu, and not with the router.  Maybe a route, can appear
at multiple paths?  Let the route be more namespace-like:
"tincymce.config"?

I bet hook_menu_alter is possible without separating concepts of menu
and router, given that we're presenting drupal an array of menu items.
It might be more dangerouse, but it seems possible.  :).

Finally having multiple links to a page does not necessarily imply that
you have multiple instances of the same path to the menu, it really just
means that you need links to a menu item to appear in multiple places.

Dave