[development] nodify.module idea: 'everything is a node'

FGM fgm at osinet.fr
Sat Jan 20 11:15:10 UTC 2007

Dries,

You and some others obviously know more than I do about resource use in
core, but
- it seems that the changes for 6.0, with (as I understand them) node
faster
- the core code might become more difficult to understand (although I'm not
sure why it would, but I'm no core expert), but the API used for contrib
modules could actually become simpler, with a slightly reduced number of
hooks and no additional parameters, which could make contrib code more easy
to write and maintain: CRUD uperations like loading, updating, creating and
deleting are already hooked for each of these entities, but in a different
way. Would it not be simpler to have the same way be used for each entity ?
- you say it does not become easier for users, and this may be true. But it
certainly does not become more difficult for them, since most users are not
even aware to the "node" term
- reducing the number of tables might reduce load (otoh, same-table joins
like (content)node->nid to (user)node->nid can be less efficient on some
engines), which might indeed be a source of resource hogging, as you
suggest. This needs benchmarking, though: this is the only engineering
proof. Maybe it has been done at the occasion of one previous discussion on
this recurring theme ?

Overall though, I have the slightest impression that the rejection of the
idea might stem from having from the origin of the software held "nodes" as
the basic content entity, wrapped, complemented, and organized by every
other entity, and such a change would mean nodes become the basic entity,
not only for content, and content nodes become a specialization of this more
abstract object, which is another point of view somehow.

Note that this would pave the way for interesting evolutions like potential
revisions on terms, users and comments (and more).

Now *that* would be a major change.

Is this also considered when rejecting Nedjo's idea ?

Frederic