[development] nodify.module idea: 'everything is a node'

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 16:04:25 UTC 2007

On 20 Jan 2007, at 12:19, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> However, maybe its a bad idea to call it nodifying. Nodes have been
> serving a
> specific purpose for too long in Drupal. I guess many developers
> can no
> longer see trough the nodes-as-primary-content anymore, and
> therefore lack
> the ability to think Out Of The Box when it comes to this.

> That way people won't confuse 'general objects' with for example
> the {nodes}
> database table. And won't need to wrap their brains around the idea of
> a 'node beig more then a title+body'. etc. Because right now people
> often
> fail to think about the Larger idea of generalised objects, and
> instead come
> with arguments like 'but putting averything in a node-table will be
> bad for
> performance'. Sure it will, but the whole database architecture is
> not even
> talked about, at this point.

This certainly doesn't hold for me.  You stop underestimating
people's ability to think. :)

As you said, there might be room for a light-weight container object,
that both nodes, comments, users and taxonomies extend from.  It's
something I've been thinking about for quite a while.  But that's not
what FGM proposed, and not what I responded to.