[development] nodify.module idea: 'everything is a node'

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sat Jan 20 21:22:14 UTC 2007

Op zaterdag 20 januari 2007 17:04, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> This certainly doesn't hold for me.  You stop underestimating
> people's ability to think. :)

Nah, I think we can all think pretty well :).
Still, too often a discussion like 'comments as nodes' is smothered in
arguments like 'but on Drupal.org we have 111140 nodes and 190926 comments:
Comments as nodes would make the node table grow 180%'. My point is that
often people fail to look further then 'stick it all in the nodes table',
or 'pipe it all trough the nodes hooks' when we discuss more node-ifying.
Simply because they have very clear and welldefined ideas about a 'node'.

> As you said, there might be room for a light-weight container object,
> that both nodes, comments, users and taxonomies extend from.  It's
> something I've been thinking about for quite a while.  But that's not
> what FGM proposed, and not what I responded to.

I don't find any references to any particular hooks, nor any proposed database
architechures in his mail. All I see is a general idea about 'objectifying'
stuff. With the ultimate goal to make 'stuff' more consistent, in data,
architecture and in APIs. No reference to actual end-user UIs yet. No
reference to, for example, the /admin/node interface or that it should remain
the same when stuff is nodified more.

Therefore, lets call this 'objectifying' and 'consistencifying' core. Instead
of nodifying. My point is that the word+thing 'node' has its place in Drupal,
hence calling 'things' nodes, only 'adds noise' to the actual discussion.
not?

Bèr-ifying

--
Drupalifying, Rubyifying on Rails and Joomla!ifying developmentified:
webschuur.com | Drupal hostingified: www.sympal.nl